This coming Sunday, August 16, we will host a farewell fellowship for the Scott Townley family in the Family Life Center at 2:00 p.m. It seems appropriate that the fellowship will take place on the first Sunday that students are back at SWOSU. Scott and his wife Katy excelled in reaching university students. Many university students are saved and walking with Christ because of the ministry of Scott and Katy.
I first met them when they were students at SWOSU. Katy worked for a time in the office. I became aware of what a kind-hearted person she is. She even helped me when I asked her for recommendations on books for couples planning to marry. She and Scott were themselves preparing to marry at the time. Scott was always fun to visit with after church or while eating on Wednesday nights. Even as students, they showed themselves to be outstanding followers of Jesus.
They returned to Weatherford a little over three years ago with Livy and Harrison. It was such a joy to know how God had used them as well as to anticipate similar results at FBC Weatherford. They did not disappoint. With precision and zeal, they partnered in reaching out to students and building a ministry that continues to reach more and more university students. Even as they move on, the ministry will continue, because of the manner in which they led. We will miss their presence and their leadership.
Scott remained a great help to me personally with articles he shared and books he recommended. I have been greatly helped by the way he passed on to me what God was teaching him. We had many good conversations about life and ministry which enriched me personally.
While it is obviously true that God’s plan for any church is larger than any one minister, it is also true that God’s plan for any minister is larger than any one church. We will continue to pray for the Townley family as they leave Weatherford to follow God’s lead. We will always be grateful for the way God used them to strengthen His church in this place.
Be sure to stop by Sunday and let them know how much you appreciate them.
I love you, Earl
- Farewell Reception for Scott and Katy Townley this Sunday, August 16 at 2:00 p.m. in the Family Life Center
- This Sundays Sermon “The Scattered Church” Acts 8:1-25
- Baptism at Crowder Lake – August 30 at 6:00 p.m.
- Family Worship and LifeGroups, Sundays at 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- Feel free to continue and watch the FBC Worship Services anytime after 11:00 a.m. Sunday on the website at: http://www.fbcweatherford.com, on the First Baptist Church Facebook Page, on FBC Weatherford Media on YouTube, or listen at noon on 95.5 FM The Coyote