“You build a church from the children’s department up.”
I was visiting with a friend from college days. He has served as co-pastor of The Valley Baptist Church in Bakersfield, California, for over thirty years. The church has experienced consistent, healthy growth to the point that it now has three campuses. He knows what he is talking about. He has seen first-hand how to reach people through a local church. He went on to explain that if you reach children you reach their parents. Young families add life to the church. Churches must heed Jesus’ command to let the children come to Him.
As a church, we will continue to prioritize children. I am sad that we will be doing so without Savannah Schones and Chelsey Powers leading us. Savannah has served as the Children’s Coordinator since April of 2017. During that time, she has advanced the children’s ministry with an attention to detail and an abundance of Christ’s love. She has devoted her whole self to the impacting of children with the good news of God’s Word. She has spent countless hours making sure that leaders are in place to teach and love on children.
Unless they move, she and her family will remain an active part of First Baptist Church. She has plenty on her plate as a wife and mother who home schools. I applaud her decision to prioritize her family. I will miss serving with her on staff but look forward to serving Jesus with her family in the church.
Chelsey is also stepping aside in order to prioritize her family. Ministry requires so much that family can end up with the leftovers. I am thankful that Chelsey has recognized the toll being taken on her children and is intentionally making changes to improve the situation. She has creatively led out with our children by developing relationships and providing opportunities for their spiritual well-being. She will also remain in the church serving Jesus with us.
A farewell fellowship for both Savannah and Chelsey will be held this Sunday, August 9, at 5:00 p.m. in the South Commons. Make a point to come and encourage these wonderful women and thank them for all they have done in building the church from the children’s department up. A basket will be available for cards of encouragement.
Joyfully your shepherd, Earl
- Farewell Reception for Savannah Schones & Chelsey Powers this Sunday, August 9 at 5:00 p.m. in the South Commons
- Farewell Reception for Scott and Katy Townley next Sunday, August 16 at 2:00 p.m. in the Family Life Center
- This Sundays Sermon “God Buried Moses” Deuteronomy 34:1-12
- Family Worship and LifeGroups, Sundays at 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- Feel free to continue and watch the FBC Worship Services anytime after 11:00 a.m. Sunday on the website at: http://www.fbcweatherford.com, on the First Baptist Church Facebook Page, on FBC Weatherford Media on YouTube, or listen at noon on 95.5 FM The Coyote